RED VELVET CAKE
2 1/2 cups (250 grams) sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons (15 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar (castor sugar lah)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk (kalau takde, boleh buat sendiri. click here)
2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
My recipe is colour coded so that its easy for you to see the steps and what goes together. So heres how you make it:
- Preheat oven at 175c.
- Sift blue items together in a mixing bowl and set aside
- Next comes the orange part. In a mixer, beat butter until soft. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Scrape sides of bowl. Then add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Next, in a separate bowl, whisk red items.
- In mixer (with the orange mixture), alternately add the blue and red mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the blue or flour mixture.
- Lastly, combine green items together. Allow it to fizz for a while before quickly FOLDING it into the cake batter.
- Butter a 9 inch pan and line the bottom with baking paper. pour the cake mix into the pan and bake in preheahted oven for 25-30mins. Maybe longer if you use the normal burner type of oven instead of a convection oven like i do.
How to make cream cheese frosting: Mix 250g of cream cheese with 5 tbsp butter, 2 tsp vanilla, and gradually add 2 cups of icing sugar. lesser sugar if you don't like it too sweet.
P.S: Share the love by giving a piece of the cake to others! I gave a piece to my maksu and my maklong =)